Edinburgh Claim a Confident Home Win Against 1872 Cup Rivals Glasgow

Edinburgh advanced to second place in the Pro14 Conference B table with a 29-19 win against Glasgow Warriors at BT Murrayfield yesterday. The result means the teams have each won a game, and so the 1872 Cup will be decided in the third fixture at the end of the season.

Graham’s try will be the last Edinburgh try scored this decade. (Photo: Edinburgh Rugby twitter)

Edinburgh ensured the 1872 Cup will be decided in a third fixture as they defeated Glasgow Warriors 29-19 at BT Murrayfield yesterday evening.

The win culminated with a Darcy Graham bonus point try – the Hawick man’s second score of the night – taking the Edinburgh side out of reach for the Warriors securing a losing bonus point.

“I’m delighted with the win – I thought the players showed huge character across the board to take maximum points, which is huge for us,” victorious Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill said. “The way the conference is panning out, these tight wins are going to be huge for us.”

He added: “The players should take huge belief and confidence from how they performed. Glasgow are a quality team with quality players. They’re very dangerous when they have the ball, you saw that tonight, and we want to be thought of as that quality of team. It’s not a fluke when we beat them.”

Glasgow Warriors had the first real chance at points on the board as they were given a penalty 10 yards into the Edinburgh half. Unusually, however, fly-half Adam Hastings hammered his kick attempt low and wide to the left of the posts.

Edinburgh proved to be hungry to utilise any and every opportunity available to them – something which prove to be a main feature of the match – as they scored the evening’s first points.

Having salvaged a fumbled Glasgow lineout, Hamish Watson put in a desperate offload to Duhan Van Der Merwe. The winger then broke past everyone on his way out of his own 22, before putting in a thundering knock-back tackle on Ruaridh Jackson to send him on his backside.

Once the rampaging winger was brought to ground, Edinburgh were quick to recycle, with Mark Bennett feeding Bill Mata for a break on the wing, and with a one-handed mid-tackle offload, the Fijian released Darcy Graham to soar over for the try, sidestepping Ratu Tagive on his way. Simon Hickey converted to make it the full seven points for the hosts.

Not long from the restart Glasgow had a chance of their own with a lineout on the Edinburgh 22, which they sent safely into the hands of Scott Cummings. They pestered away at the Edinburgh defence, eventually forcing open space in the wide channels when Edinburgh committed too many to the breakdown.

And so, Jackson fed Huw Jones with the centre then stepping inside Nic Groom to go through the defensive line gap and over line. Hastings added the conversion to put the visitors on par with their hosts on the scoreboard.

The half ended somewhat chaotically as Edinburgh suffered an early loss after just 36 minutes when captain Stuart McInally had to leave the field – later confirmed to be due to rib issues – and was replaced by Mike Willemse. Paired with this, George Taylor did himself a bit of damage in a tackle and had to receive attention for a good few minutes, but perhaps the sight of Matt Scott warming up spurred him on, as he returned to his feet to finish the half.

Pierre Schoeman on his way to a man of the match performance. (Photo: Edinburgh Rugby twitter)

The second half began the same way the first had ended as Edinburgh rang another change, replacing WP Nel with Simon Berghan following a rather choppy opening five minutes.

Edinburgh added to their score early on when a penalty for Glasgow playing the nine on Groom was awarded to them within kicking range of the posts for fly-half Hickey.

Glasgow took the lead for the first time in the match when Scott Cummings barged his way over from close range following some determined phases from a lineout on the Edinburgh five metre line. Hastings converted to put the visitors four points ahead of their hosts.

Edinburgh thought they had struck back when Matt Scott made a blistering solo break, sliding in to the bottom of the posts with three or four Glasgow players hanging off of him. Huw Jones and DTH Van Der Merwe had overshot their attempts at covering tackles, but Tagive and Jackson had done just enough to force the Edinburgh centre into a double movement and so the referee moved for an Edinburgh scrum on the Glasgow five metre line.

Patience is a virtue as the saying goes, and Edinburgh got the lead reclaiming score when Bill Mata took the ball from the base of scrum, getting to ground just close enough to the line to allow replacement Henry Pyrgos to take the ball from the ruck and snipe over for the score. With Hickey’s conversion, Edinburgh advanced to just three points ahead of Glasgow.

Glasgow came back when working the ball on the Edinburgh line resulted in their replacement scrum half George Horne going over just left of a large pule of forward bodies. However, with Jackson missing the conversion, they opened themselves up to another Edinburgh comeback in the late stages of the game.

A penalty try secured the hosts a full seven point score, and saw them go a man up when Jonny Gray was shown a yellow card for an infringement at the driving maul which had seen referee Mike Adamson award the penalty score in the first place.

The win for the capital club was secured with a late, bonus point try from first scorer Graham. Glasgow were working the phases, but a knock on from Nick Grigg was scooped up by Jaco Van Der Walt who chose to play the advantage with his teammates.

The half-back fed Mata who offloaded to Scott who flicked the ball on to Mark Bennett who released Graham, and his blistering pace, on the wing and the winger had no issues running in the clincher try. Van Der Walt missed the conversion, but Edinburgh already had the bonus point and had advanced to ten points ahead of Glasgow, meaning there would be no losing bonus point for the visitors.



Edinburgh: B Kinghorn; D Graham, M Bennett, G Taylor, D Van Der Merwe; S Hickey, N Groom; P Schoemann, S McInally, WP Nel, B Toolis, G Gilchrist, J Ritchie, H Watson, B Mata. Subs: M Willemse, J Bhatti, S Berghan, L Carmichael, M Bradbury, H Pyrgos, J Van Der Walt, M Scott.

Glasgow Warriors: R Jackson; R Tagive, H Jones, S Johnson, DTH Van Der Merwe; A Hastings, A Price; O Kebble, F Brown, Z Fagerson, S Cummings, J Gray, R Harley, C Gibbins, R Wilson. Subs: G Turner, A Seiuli, A Nicol, A Ashe, T Gordon, G Horne, N Grigg, N Matawalu.

Referee: Mike Adamson.


Edinburgh: Tries: Graham 2, Pyrgos, Penalty try. Cons: Hickey 2. Pen: Hickey.

Glasgow Warriors: Tries: Jones, Cummings, G Horne. Cons: Hastings 2.

Scoring sequence (Edinburgh first): (0-0), (5-0), (7-0), (7-5), (7-7) HT (10-7), (10-12), (10-14), (15-14), (17-14), (17-19), (24-19), (29-19) FT.

Yellow card: Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)

Man of the Match: Pierre Schoeman.

Attendance: 27,437.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s